Believe

Believe - Mia Fox Romance, Grief and a Love that Survives Everything.
I came across ‘Believe’ through a sample posted in Wattpad and the beginning of the story hit me like a bomb. The different voices, the changes in rhythm and twists and surprises and the transitions form sweetness and everyday life to tragedy made me want to keep reading.
‘Believe’ is the first in the ‘Chasing Shadows Series’ but rather than starting slowly and building up the tension, we hardly have time to get to know the characters before we are thrown into emotional turmoil and deep waters.
Ella suffers a huge loss and the author shows great skill at capturing, through inner dialogue, the depth of sadness and desperation she experiences. Despite her sister’s attempts at restoring normality and comforting her, Ella wants her boyfriend, Nate, back. And it seems he does not want to leave her either.
Is this love beyond death? Or a manifestation of grief? Ethan, the therapist/resident assigned to her case when she finally collapses, has issues of his own. What will their meeting do for both of them? Is it fate?
The story is gripping and intriguing and the writing vivid, sensual and focused on the internal workings of the minds of the characters. As a reader I found it difficult not to empathise and share the feelings of the characters, their doubts and insecurities, and also their excitement.
I recommend ‘Believe’ to readers who enjoy an emotional rollercoaster and being thrown into the internal universe of the characters. Only one word of warning. The book ends up on a cliffhanger and I know some readers find that frustrating. Personally, I’m looking forward to the next book.
I received a free copy of the novella from the author in exchange for an honest review.